My Crazy Weekend

I'll apologize in advance for the lack of pictures. I think you'll be understanding of me just this once.

It was very fortunate that I was able to get all the Ugly Doll shirts made ahead of time. Normally I am a huge procrastinator with pretty much everything; chores, assignments, reports, photo editing, kids' school projects, you name it.

So, when I woke up Friday morning with a nauseous stomach, I wasn't too worried. I have an intestinal condition and indigestion kinda goes with the game.By lunch time, I really didn't feel well. But the food sitting in front of me looked, smelled, and tasted great, so I managed to eat a bit despite my protesting stomach. For any of you locals, we had dined at Wade's that day. I had the hamburger steak with rice, gravy, sauteed onions and mushrooms, and broccoli cheese casserole. YUM!

I then left to go get the kids from school. All I wanted to do was go lay down! Finally we got home and I did just that. But while I was laying down, I was thinking about how I was going to clean the bathroom and how I really needed to vacuum the playroom and there was laundry and dishes and all that jazz.

I made myself get up at 4 PM when Jayce's ABA therapist got there. I have this fear of being seen as a lazy mom so I always try to do some type of house work while they are there :) This time I dragged my nauseous self over to the playroom to start cleaning up. I made it about 20 minutes before I just had to go lay down.

The therapist left at 6 and then all hell broke loose. I started cramping very badly and ended up throwing up shortly after 6 O'clock. To be honest, I was relieved. Whenever I get an intestinal bowel obstruction, I always feel better when I throw up. Sometimes it only takes once for relief :)

This time it took 16 times.

I'm not kidding.

You know how I counted? Because I vomited every single hour on the hour between 6 PM and 7 AM and threw up several more times before noon.

By Saturday at noon, I was a wreck. I was in so much pain and so sick and there was nothing left to do. I couldn't even keep water or juice down. I called my GI doctor on call and they advised me to go to the ER because I was probably dehydrated.

So, my dear husband and two kids packed me up (throw up bowl and all) and took me to the hospital.

Now, I've been to the hospital a billion times with this stuff. I know the drill. I have to say that this was the BEST experience ever in an ER. They had me back in Triage within 10 minutes. I only had to tell one person my medical history before everyone (nurses, doctors, lab people) knew it. The triage nurse gave my kids their own hospital allergy bracelets and answered all of Jayce's many questions about all the medical equipment.

I was taken back and given IV fluids, then Zophran, then Morphine for the pain. Brian took the kids home and my mom came to stay with me.

The Physician's Assistant that came in called my GI doctor right away, even though he was affiliated with a neighboring hospital. This meant so much to me. He recommended me NOT getting an NG tube this time (thank goodness!) because there was nothing left to pump from my stomach. They ended up doing an ultrasound on my colon and both decided that the obstruction would pass on its own. I was released with pain and nausea meds 6 hours later.

I'm not gonna lie, yesterday was rough. The pain and nausea meds made me even sicker. I still couldn't eat anything. And to top it off, we had Jaina's 9th birthday party last night.

A HUGE thank you to all my friends that helped out at her party! It was a success and I didn't even do anything except sit! My friend Monica took photos for me so I'll be sure to post those soon.

I'm doing so much better today. I've had some rice, toast, crackers, and soup broth. The pain and the nausea has passed, now I just need to build my strength back up.

Thanks for all your well-wishes on my FB wall :) It means so much to me that all my internet friends are keeping me in their thoughts and prayers.


  1. Oh you poor thing! So sorry to hear you were so sick!

  2. Yuck, sorry you were so sick and I hope you are better soon.

    Can't wait to see how Jaina's party turned out!

  3. Oh my goodness, how horrible! I hope you are feeling better soon!

  4. What a traumatic weekend! I need to pick your brain sometime about your condition - I am worried about Kelsey. Her stomach hurts often, and last fall when I took her into the doc about it he said she had a bowel obstruction. I don't know if that's still what is going on or not... At least it's not debilitating to her like yours was!


Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Popular Posts